Sunday, May 15, 2011

Race Strategy

Last Saturday (5/7) I ran a 10K, the last race before the marathon three weeks from today! I used my usual race-day strategy to get prepared for the 6.2 miles ahead. I got to White Bear Lake about an hour before the start of the race, got my packet and shirt, got in a little warm-up and during the stretching portion I began to scope out the competition. Racers were there of all ages and abilities, and even species (as dogs were allowed to race as well). With about 10 minutes before the start of the race I picked out my prey: 2 skinny b*tches (and I use that term in the most loving way) which I would pummel with my unexpected speed.
I kind of have a chip on my shoulder for skinny runners, as I am not one, but I've wanted to be. I don't care if an 80-year-old passes me, but if the girl in the pink shorts or the girl in the green and black tank do so, I am upset. Luckily, I was able to leave the girl in the pink shorts in the dust at the beginning of the race and overtook the green and black tank girl with about 1/2 to 1 mile to go after she passed me mid-way through. Race strategy and PR complete!
I got to thinking about that strategy on a shorter run earlier this week, and thought, "What if I am someone's skinny b*tch?" Now, I know this is thinking too highly of myself, but insert any trait and we could all be someone else's race strategy. "The guy with the flashy gold shoes". "The one who has run the same number of races as me". "The other local who is at every race in town and I've never beaten". "The neighbor with the ferocious Pekingese".
Some might say this isn't a healthy way to think or a good way to go about a race, but I disagree. For the averagely competitive runner (or the average runner with a high level of competitive spirit) this spices things up a little bit. Gives one a reason to pound the hills. Run through the rain. Chew up the 1/13 mile indoor track. It puts a smile on my face to know that at the next race there will be someone there who I might surprise, and someone who will surprise me.

1 comment:

  1. I love your style of writing - it makes me smile when I read it, because I share so many of the same thoughts as you!! Keep blogging - I love the updates!! :)

    ReplyDelete